Chaotic Mom
The essays keep rolling in--THANK YOU! I am blown away by the range of experiences that you are sharing. I even teared up while reading a few recent essays. Once the show up in my inbox, I scan through them, reformat them to fit my standard format, categorize them to see where they fit in my basic outline, etc. I will work on full organizing and editing after the March 15th deadline. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

Your essays are confirming the goal of this project, to bring together a range of Army spouse experiences that NEED to be shared with other spouses. The range of essays varies from newlywed spouses to Army spouses with decades of experience to share with others. It is so exciting to hear that some writers are learning more about themselves as they write, too--yeah! These are definitely essays I would have like to read 20 years ago, and can't wait to share with other spouses. Thank you for sending them in!

If you haven't sent in an essay yet, no worries! There are still a couple of weeks for you to sit down and compose one. If you are stumped for essay ideas, you can read some of the suggestions listed in the blog posts, and on the pages to the right. When I hit a writing block, I pick up the phone, call a friend and we just start talking about what we've experienced through the years. Before I realize it, we've talked over a few good topics for essays! Keeping a notepad around to record those ideas has been very helpful.

Remember to not worry about your writing style--write in your own "voice". I may edit some of what you've written just a little bit (with your approval before printing), but it's important to me that your character comes through in your writing. One of my best friends told my husband that she's worried about her writing style, that it's not "print worthy". I know this gal very well, and I would love to receive anything from her. She knows I would help her with any necessary editing. My friend has lived an amazing life as an Army brat and spouse, and has a wealth of experiences to share with other spouses. If she doesn't send me something soon, I'll have to tell some stories of my own... (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)!

Yes, the most difficult part of writing can be just sitting down and getting your thoughts on paper. I am not grading these essays. I will work WITH you to make sure we put together the best project possible.

Keep sending in the essays! I have been so moved to read what you've already shared, and can't wait to read more!
Labels: , , edit post